Because some students put as much time into Speech and Debate as they would if they were taking another whole class, Speech and Debate has been authorized by both high schools to grant Independent Study Credit (ISC) to students meeting certain requirements. No formal application process is involved. Credit is awarded each semester, and ALL activities must be fulfilled within a semester to earn credit. Activities are not transferable to other semesters. Independent Study credit shows up as 5 units of Independent Study Speech and Debate and is only graded as Pass/Fail. Students who commit disciplinary violations may be ineligible for credit. Any student fulfilling the requirements will be automatically granted ISC.
If you are a current high school student, please login to see your ISC status for the current semester, or to submit your tournament recaps for credit.
The required activities for receiving ISC are:
Students must attend a minimum of 12 meetings attended each semester.
Students must participate in at least 3 days of specific activities outside of practice.
- Approved activities include competing at tournaments, attending or assisting at Demo Day, observing rounds at tournaments (any rounds for Novices, elimination rounds only for Varsity), judging at Novice tournaments, and coaching for YFL programs.
- At least one participation day must be competition.
- Students must attend at least two different events; it is not sufficient to attend one multi-day tournament. Two half days of participation may be added together to yield one full day. Students will document tournament attendance by filling out a tournament recap form (which may also be filled out for YFL coaching or other service opportunities where a student has substantively contributed to a material product, ie curriculum design)
- While practices are conducted online, any practice attendance over 12 will be counted toward 1/8th of a day of participation credit. However, a student will still need two activities for which the recap form can be filled out regardless of practice attendance carryover.
Students must appropriately engage both within practice and in at-home preparations
- Estimated to be a minimum of 50 hrs. per semester.
- Adequate preparation will be verified by the coach(es) for each event.
- Each coach will set clear standards for evidence of preparation.
- Some events may require homework.
*Competing only in Impromptu only generally does not involve enough hours of independent preparation to earn Independent Study credit*
All students shall be required by district policy to submit some physical evidence of their participation. Work products will be submitted with the two minimum tournament recap forms per semester.
- Students with prepared documents (prepared speeches, LD/PF cases, etc) shall submit at at least one such document
- Students without prepared documents (spontaneous speech, parliamentary debate) shall submit scans/photocopies of tournament round flows labeled with dates and locations.